Saturday, January 9, 2010

Kumquat Marmalade

Yup, I am still in the mood of processing my kumquats! I made kumquat marmalade this weekend. It used simple ingredients but took a while to prepare. Its unique taste comes from the sweetness and fragrance of kumquat's rind. I am planning to use this marmalade for jam drop biscuits.

The recipe I used is from recipezaar. It was originally from 1947 American cookbook. It is reasonably easy and doesn't use gelatin/pectin.

Ingredients:
  • 450 grams of kumquats (sliced and seeded)
  • half lemon (sliced and seeded)
  • 950 ml water
  • 2 cups sugar (I used 1.75 cups sugar)







Preparations:
Wash and dry kumquats.
















Slice kumquats thinly and remove seeds. Add lemon rind and its flesh (remove the white part).
















Add water and let it stand overnight.
















Heat in sauce pan to boiling point and cook until peel is tender and clear. Let it stand overnight.























Add sugar and cook very slowly (keep stirring) until the mixture thickens. Keep marmalade in sterilised jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment