Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dark Chocolate Sorbet

I recently made this dark chocolate sorbet and the result was surprisingly good. It tastes like the chocolate sorbet from gelato shops. For all ice-cream lovers, I suggest you to have an ice-cream maker at home.

When I was about to buy this kitchen appliance, I thought what if I only use this ice-cream maker once or twice a year. Will it be a waste of space in the kitchen and money to spend?  I was also thinking if I would be overloaded with ice cream after having too excited with ice-cream recipes. Anyway, I bought Crazy Scoops from Breville Factory outlet in Redfern for $45 with 12 month-warranty. Trust me, you can make healthier desserts when you have your own ice-cream maker. You can make fresh fruits sorbets (no cream, no egg yolks) and frozen yoghurts with reduced amount of sugar (based on your preference). I also reduced the recipe to half the amount to avoid having chocolate-overdosed.

The recipe that I tried is from " Pareve Chocolate Sorbet" Recipezaar website. It has high-rating reviews and definitely worth to try if you are a dark chocolate lover.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cocoa (Blooker Cocoa or any unsweetened Holland cocoa)
  • 3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar)
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preparation:
  1. In a saucepan, heat cocoa, sugar and water. Keep stirring until the mixture boils.
  2. Turn the heat off and add vanilla.
  3. Chill the mixture in the fridge for 2 hours.
  4. Put into the ice cream maker for 30 minutes or until the texture is smooth.
  5. Keep the sorbet in the freezer for 1 hour, then serve with fresh fruits and some dark chocolate flakes (I used vegetable peeler to make some choc flakes from Lindt dark chocolate bar).

No comments:

Post a Comment