Saturday, July 3, 2010

Beef and Mushroom Pie

 
Thanks to my best friends who gave Westfield/Myer vouchers as my birthday presents. I spent some of the amount to buy this pie maker. It is called Pie Magic 4 by Sunbeam and costs $69.95 in Myer (came with a recipe book).  When I saw it in the store, I knew that I wanted it so much since Thu loves eating pies and I always oppose the idea of buying pies from supermarkets or any bakery shops. Why?!? The reasons are stated in the nutrition information. I also want to make my own apple pies one day. 
I just made 17 beef and mushroom pies today. I planned to freeze most of them for our busy days, when pies and fresh salad will be our dinner. I was very surprised with the results. We both really liked these homemade pies. The pie crust was also perfect. For those who like pies, I strongly recommend this pie maker. It made the best pies I've ever had in my first attempt of using it.

Recipe that I tried: Aussie Bushman's Pies from page 14 in Pie Magic 4 recipe book. Delicious!! I doubled the amount of mushrooms and didn't add water since mushrooms were juicy enough for the pie filling.

Ingredients (for 4 pies):
  • 200 g beef round steak, diced
  • 200 g flat mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tbs plain flour
  • 1 tsp beef stock powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground blackpepper
  • olive oil
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • shortcrust pastry for the pie base
  • puff pastry for pie top

Preparations:

Prepare the pie filling: toss steak in combined flour, stock powder and pepper. Heat oil in a wok, cook steak and onion until browned.
Add mushrooms and worcestershire sauce. Simmer until mushroom is cooked (approx. 7 mins).

Prepare pie base: Using the pie base cutter provided, cut each pie base from the shortcrust pastry. Using both hands, overlap the pastry slits by approx. 1.5 cm.
Prepare pie top: Using the pie top cutter provided, cut each top from the puff pastry. Arrange the pie parts in the pie maker. Leave it closed for about 8 mins. All done!!
 
Serve the pie with fresh salad and tomato sauce. If you make some extras, you can keep the remaining pies in freezer for up to 2 months.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment