Saturday, November 28, 2009

Eskimo Neapolitan Ice Cream


I recently thought of making Neapolitan Ice Cream that my family used to buy from Eskimo Ice cream shop in Surabaya. All of us love this ice cream. The rum flavour in vanilla part and the roasted peanut mixed with sugar on vanilla layer are so unique. I can't find this kind of ice cream here.

So, I did some research on many Neapolitan ice cream recipes on the net and my ice cream book. It took me a while to decide which recipe will give the closest result to what I want. I finally came up with my own recipe. Hah!! This is always the outcome if I got confused. Let's do it my way and I'll take the risk if it doesn't work.

My recipe is very simple but it took three days to complete since my ice cream machine needs pre-freezing. I made one flavour each day, starting with strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate. I didn't have high expectations on my first attempt of Neapolitan ice cream recipe but I was very glad with the outcome. It was sooo close to the real Eskimo style.

If you like non-creamy ice cream, then this will be the one for you as I used less cream and avoided egg yolks in my ice cream.

Ingredients:
  • 600 ml thickened cream (whipped, divide to 3 bowls)
  • Strawberry layer: 1 punnet strawberries + 1/4 cup white sugar + a dash of lemon juice
  • Vanilla layer: 1/4 cup condensed milk + 200 ml warm water + 1 tbs rum + 1 tbs vanilla extract
  • Chocolate layer: 3 tbs Blooker cocoa powder (sifted) + 200 ml water + 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 6 tbs Roasted granulated peanuts and 2 tbs caster sugar (mixed)
Preparation:
  1. Pour thickened ice cream to a large bowl and whip until the mixture holds its shape
  2. Divide evenly the whipped cream into 3 medium-sized bowls
  3. Strawberry layer: Put the strawberries, white sugar and lemon juice in a blender and process to form a puree. Pour the strawberry mixture to one bowl of the whipped cream and mix well. This layer should be slightly tangy.
  4. Vanilla layer: Mix vanilla layer ingredients and pour into the whipped cream bowl. Mix well and keep in the fridge. This layer is purely sweet.
  5. Chocolate layer: In a saucepan, mix chocolate layer ingredients (If small clumps are present, you can use a sieve when pouring the chocolate mix to the whipped cream). Mix well and keep in the fridge. This layer should have the bitterness from dark cocoa powder.
  6. Using an ice cream machine, start preparing the strawberry layer. Pour the strawberry ice cream into a loaf pan covered in baking paper. Let it freeze overnight
  7. Next day: prepare the vanilla layer using the ice cream machine. Freeze for 2 hours. Add mixed roasted peanuts and sugar on vanilla layer evenly. Let it freeze overnight
  8. Last day: prepare the chocolate layer using the ice cream machine. Freeze overnight.
  9. Slice the ice cream. Serve with fresh fruits.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment